This summer I have had many firsts. I canned beans, peaches, and tomatoes by myself and I made fruit leather. Well I attempted the fruit leather but the canning worked out great. I actually had fun doing these things too. I was talking to my mom and telling her how domestic I'm being. She was very proud of her baby girl who cans.
So on Monday I canned my peaches. My mom gave me an old caner that she didn't use anymore. Well when I used it, it had a hole in the bottom of it and it leaked water all over my stove. So that didn't work. I ran over to my wonderful neighbors home and she let me borrow hers to finish the job. I finally got the first batch in and going. When done I was pulling the bottles out and yes this happened.
That was a another first for me. I've never had the bottom of a bottle completely break off. So I fished out the peaches and started another batch. Luckily I had no more incidents while canning. This is a good thing because I was canning until 10:30 that night.
Yesterday I did tomatoes. This truly was a first for me in all aspects. I have never done this with anyone. So I dived into boiling, peeling, and cutting. It wasn't hard work but I kept having interruptions. Both my sisters called, I had one visitor (we never have people knock on our door), RB came home, and a boy came over for us to watch him for the night. Needless to say it took a little longer than expected but it wasn't too bad. It only took 3 hrs to do 4 pints! Yes I said 4 pints. They were small tomatoes.
Well I have to go for now. I'll update you on my new adventure in becoming more domestic.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
A Proud Domestic Woman
Posted by TP at 11:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am so happy for you!!! It always feels so good to be self suffcient.
Wow, I guess I'll just call you Betty Crocker now!
That is awesome that you are canning. I am sure that I should but it has never been a strong desire for me... maybe one day.
Your girls are darling.
Katie
UMM WHATS THE BIG IDEA MAKING YOUR SISTERS LOOK BAD?? HA THAT IS WHY J CAN NEVER MOVE ME AWAY!! I HAD MOM MAKE MY RICE CRISPIE TREATS FOR SCHOOL FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!! OH WELL LOVE YA...SORRY I CALLED YOU SAID YOU WERENT BUSY!! hehehehe
Go canning lady! I have not in all of my (20ish quarts) ever had the bottom break either. I hear its best to can tomatoes and go play volleyball because you sleep really well that night?!
Look at you! Canning and everything. I am very impressed, I never find the time!!
Welcome to the world of canning! Way to go! This year I had the bottom of a jar break when I was doing tomatoes. I've never had that happen before, but my mom assures me that it does. Must be a cheap jar! Your peaches look so good. I love bottled peaches!
Post a Comment